28 December 2010

How did you find Tokio Hotel? And what made you fall in love...lust? with them?

It was 2006, and I saw a picture of these four German kids on ONTD that reminded me of an infantile AFI in a way. Around the same time, word of their music was making its way through the AFI community and I ended up saying wth, give it a listen, but I wasn't expecting much...

Whoaaaa.... Bang. Owned.

I think it was their energy and intensity, their honest-to-fuck "This is what we want to do and dammit we're doing it and up yours if you don't like it" attitude that got me hooked. If the music had been crap I'd have moved along and never looked back. Even being aware they had 'assistance' writing their music didn't really put me off. And to be perfectly honest, the G's evident, solid talent is what sold me on them being a real band making real music. Those two have the chops and they've proven it all along.

I love the twins, don't get me wrong, but let's just say Bill's... certainly matured as a singer, though he could use a bit more vocal training, and Tom is a passable rhythm guitarist at best trying to make his way as a lead. I hope he's allowed to take the time and training he needs to become a more solid player. The "solos" that have started making their way into live shows are an excellent start, but he needs the confidence and the teaching to really make it burn.

I'm so proud of how far they've come from the four-odd years ago since I found out about them. I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

Have at it.

0 ::sing to me::

Post a Comment

<< Home