26 June 2010

Do you have any friends you keep around just because theyre a trainwreck?

No. Once someone heads down that road, if they were ever truly a friend I'm at least obligated to try and help the situation, and if they weren't then it's no business of mine, I don't care to prey on someone else's misfortunes.

If I do all I reasonably can -- and maybe unreasonably, depending how close they and I ever were -- and nothing comes of it, the destructive behavior and melodramatics continue? I have to walk away.

I've done it a few times already. It never feels good, but there's no place in my life for someone like that who isn't at least -trying- to improve their situation.

I learned this the hard way, of course... don't we all? The emotional and mental drain that this kind of relationship can place is entirely unfair to both the 'wreck in question and the people they affect.

For whatever reason, probably because I have to at least try to help, I've found that the trainwreck types tend to try and get their drama all over me, and that's one of the single fastest ways to find yourself ejected from my personal little corner of the multiverse.

That said... I haven't done this in awhile.

Rules of the J-verse:

-- Do not manufacture drama because you need some attention. There is wayyyy too much legit trouble going on in most of my friends' lives as well as my own for that kind of highschool bullshit.

-- Do not lie about, talk shit or backstab me to others we know, or about others we know to me.
I am a Scorpio. I WILL find out. Odds are I know you're lying before it's even done leaving your mouth/fingers.

-- We all fuck up or hit a low in our choice of behavior sometimes. Some of us more often than others. It happens. Sometimes we're not in a place to affect it right away either. But be aware of it, own it, and acknowledge it needs to be worked on. When not a single thing that goes wrong is ever of your own making, you are making my fingers itch for the clue-by-four.

-- Likewise we all need someone to whinge at sometimes. I'm good at listening, I like to hope I can offer decent advice in most cases. But when it's become a steady presence in the majority of your communication with me, I WILL start dodging you.
I will always listen to a friend who needs an ear for a little bit. I will make that time and do what I can. But I'm not your personal wailing wall either. I can't be.

-- Same with constant, unrelenting negativity.
If you constantly greet me on the phone or AIM with "ugh" or "bleh" instead of "Hi" or "coffee?" or "G'morning" or "Where the fuck have you been?", and most of your conversation is one long complaining session, every. single. time... you are a serious drain, you make my damn head hurt and I'm not going to have much time for you.

-- Think about the last time you talked to me before you start another conversation. Do you ever tell me anything good, do we ever discuss life, the universe, hot musicians and the best lube money can buy -- or do you just go down the list looking for anyone who's available, see my name and hit me up to coredump your latest issues?
Trufax: If I didn't have an interest in talking to you, you wouldn't have my screen name. But when I start feeling like your stand-in therapist, you're going to start getting dodged.

Obviously all of this applies to a constant behavior pattern, not the normal swing of life, you know? We all do this stuff -sometimes-, myself included.

Have at it.

0 ::sing to me::

Post a Comment

<< Home